If there is a crack in the heat exchanger of your heating system, your furnace could be leaking carbon monoxide (CO). This can be dangerous for you and your family, as CO can cause serious bodily harm and even result in death.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, tasteless and odourless gas and therefore is not easily detected, especially in small quantities.
Your furnace may be leaking carbon monoxide if you or other members of your household are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Feeling hungover
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness
If you think your furnace is leaking carbon monoxide contact a local heating company right away. If you think you are experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, please seek professional medical advice immediately.