There are several common signs that your hot water tank may stop working. Consider calling a water heater services company to take a look at and repair or replace your unit if:
- Your unit is getting old. The average water heater will last 8 to 10 years.
- Your water smells or is discoloured. For example, if the water looks rusty the unit may be corroding.
- You hear loud noises coming from your hot water heater. Loud popping or crackling sounds can mean sediment has built up in the tank.
- Your tank is leaking or you notice water around the water heater.
- Your hot water tank no longer provides enough hot water.
- The water pressure has gone down and is not sufficient.