Looking for house heating tips to help you stay warm this winter in Edmonton? The climate in Alberta is chilly, and heating your home during the winter can get expensive. These simple house heating tips can help you heat your home more efficiently. As a result, you'll save money on your utility bills and extend the life of your furnace!
But, before we get into our top tips to stay warm this winter season, let's look at two critical steps you'll need to take. Our house heating tips won't get you far without completing these steps.
- Know your heating system.
- Keep up with regular maintenance.
Ready to learn how to keep your Edmonton home warm this winter (without breaking the bank)? Let's go!
Know Your Heating System (To Take Full Advantage of House Heating Tips)
First thing's first, if you want to take full advantage of the house heating tips below, you'll need to know your heating system - inside and out.
All heating systems are different. That is why you must know what type of heating system you have and how it works.
Here are a few essential details you should know about your furnace.
- Your furnace brand and model.Not sure what furnace brand and model you have in your Edmonton home? No worries. You'll find this info on the manufacturer's label on your unit. All top furnace brands put data stickers (or nameplates) on their units. These labels include important details about your furnace - like the model number, serial number, etc. Most furnace data stickers can be found inside the top-front access panel (commonly on the left inside wall). You may need tools to remove the panel to access this label. If you don't feel comfortable removing the front panel, can't find the label, or have any other doubts, contact a professional heating service provider. The friendly and helpful team at ProSolutions is standing by to answer all of your furnace questions. Please note: the furnace model number in your manual may not be complete. Therefore, it is best to find the data sticker on your heating system.
- What type of energy your furnace uses. There are several different types of furnaces. Two of the most common (in Alberta) include electrical and gas furnaces. That said, gas furnaces are by far the most popular option in Edmonton. So, if you live in Edmonton or the surrounding area, there's a good chance you have a gas furnace - especially if you bought and installed your furnace with ProSolutions.If you're unsure about what kind of furnace you have, don't hesitate to call the pros at ProSolutions Heating.
- Signs your furnace is not working properly. If you're familiar with your furnace and how it usually operates, it won't be challenging to notice strange behaviour. Strange noises and smells, in particular, are a sign that you should call a professional heating company immediately. Not sure if your furnace is functioning correctly? Here are some critical indicators to keep an eye out for - Furnace Warning Signs.
If you do need to call the furnace professionals at ProSolutions, there are a few common questions our experts will ask you.
Common Questions Your Heating Provider Will Ask You
Be sure to have the answers to these questions ready to go.
- What type of furnace do you have? (e.g. electric, gas, etc.)
- What is the brand, model and serial number of your furnace?
- How old is your furnace?
- What furnace warning signs have you noticed?
Now, let's look at another essential step you'll need to take before implementing our house heating tips.
The Importance of Furnace Maintenance for a Warm Home This Winter
Furnace maintenance is one of the most significant factors for efficient heating (especially during a cold Edmonton winter).
If your heating system isn't in top working condition, it won't be able to provide the heat you need. But, most importantly, you don't want to be stuck with a broken furnace in the dead of winter. In this case, not even the best house heating tips can save you from the cold! Therefore, you must keep up with regular furnace maintenance.
Depending on what time of year it is, here are some vital furnace maintenance tasks to keep in mind.
- Early fall (i.e. before October) - Now is the time to buy and install a new furnace. Need a new furnace? Early fall is the best time to get a furnace installed in Edmonton. Preparing early for winter will help you beat the winter rush and ensure you get the best furnace for your home. If you need help deciding which furnace brand and size to choose, give the team at ProSolutions a call. We'll help you determine the best heating system for your Edmonton home.
- Late fall (i.e. after October, ideally before the start of winter) - Now is the time to take care of all furnace repairs. For efficient home heating this winter, you'll want to ensure all necessary furnace repairs are completed before the snow and freezing weather arrives. If you encounter an issue with your furnace, call a local heating company as soon as possible.
For furnace installation, repairs and maintenance, contact ProSolutions Heating Inc. today!
Pro House Heating Tip: before scheduling a visit from a professional heating technician, check out the simple DIY furnace maintenance tasks below.
DIY Furnace Maintenance for Efficient Heating
There are several DIY furnace maintenance tips that you can complete yourself (if you feel comfortable doing so).
While it's essential to have a professional HVAC team tune up your furnace at least once per year (a fall furnace tune-up is recommended to beat the rush), these simple DIY furnace maintenance steps can help you save money.
- Check your furnace filter - this is one of the most important DIY furnace maintenance tasks you can complete. Changing your furnace filter about every three months (or so) will help your furnace run more efficiently - meaning you'll pay less in utilities!
- Make sure all the panels and parts on your furnace are secure - over time, the parts on your furnace can wiggle loose (e.g. screws, connections, etc.). Visually inspect your furnace to make sure everything is in place. If something appears loose or out of place, call a professional heating company like ProSolutions to take a look.
- Keep the space near your furnace free of dirt, dust and debris - this will ensure that nothing impacts airflow and hinders the efficiency of your heating unit. And remember - never store anything on top of your furnace!
Now, let's get into it - here are our top house heating tips to help you stay warm this winter in Edmonton.
Top 5 House Heating Tips to Keep Your Home Warm This Winter Season
These five house heating tips will help create a more comfortable home in Edmonton this winter. Best of all, these top tips will help you reduce your heating bills and increase the lifespan of your furnace!
1. Keep your windows and doors closed tightly - and ensure they are sealed properly.
To help prevent a cold draft from cooling your home (and hot air from escaping), keep your doors and windows closed. Locking your windows will also help seal them more tightly. If needed, install weatherstripping around your doors to help keep your home warm and your energy bills as low as possible.
2. Make sure your attic is sufficiently insulated.
Did you know - if your attic is not properly insulated, up to 15% of your home's heat loss is through your roof?! To fix this issue, install extra insulation in your attic and walls (if necessary). Like the attic, drafty areas in the walls can prevent your home from staying warm during the winter.
3. Keep the area around your vents and heat registers clear.
If a piece of furniture is blocking your vents or heat registers, it will interrupt the flow of heat in the room. Furniture, like couches and chairs, also absorbs heat. Therefore, if a couch or chair is directly above a register, much of the heat is going to waste! This impacts the efficiency of your furnace, causing it to work harder and increasing your heating bill.
To prevent this from happening, check the placement of your furniture and rearrange it if necessary.
4. Harness the power of the sun.
The sun provides lots of free heat - so be sure to take advantage of it! During the day, open your blinds to help keep your home warm. This will let the heat from the sun in and is especially helpful during the cold winter months in Edmonton. When the sun sets, close your curtains. This will keep the heat inside and add an extra layer of insulation to your windows.
5. Install a programmable or smart thermostat.
Your home doesn't always need to be toasty warm. A programmable or smart thermostat can automatically reduce the temperature at night and when you are away. As a result, your furnace won't have to work so hard at all times of the day. This will help you reduce heating costs and maximize the lifespan of your furnace!
Need help choosing or installing a smart thermostat? The experienced professionals at ProSolutions Heating can help you determine which thermostat will work best with your furnace. Once you've found the perfect thermostat, our heating technicians will install it for you. So give us a call at 780-453-6640.
In addition to these house heating tips, hiring a professional to tune up your furnace will help you stay warm this winter.
Maximize Your Home Comfort this Winter - Book a Furnace Tune-Up with ProSolutions Heating
Do you want to guarantee your Edmonton home is warm all winter long while maximizing energy cost savings? The heating specialists at ProSolutions Heating Inc. can help.
Our heating experts will conduct a thorough furnace tune-up to ensure your entire heating system is in top working condition. As a result, you'll experience optimal home heating and lower energy bills!
Book a furnace tune-up with ProSolutions today.
P.S. Save BIG on heating services - check out our limited-time heating offers.