Looking for solutions to dry, dull skin? When searching for the secret to healthier skin, many Edmonton residents overlook the benefits of water softener on skin and the benefits of humidifiers for skin.
This was the case for John and Lisa. With itchy, dry skin and hair and eczema plaguing their family, John and Lisa looked high and low for solutions. They tried numerous skin care products and other remedies – never considering the skin benefits of humidifiers or water softeners. After these products failed, they turned to ProSolutions Inc. and finally found the answers to their skin care problems!
Here’s John and Lisa’s story and what they learned about skin health along the way.
Meet Edmonton Residents John and Lisa – A Family Plagued By Skin Care Problems
John and Lisa reside in Edmonton with their children, Emma and Max. For years, the family struggled with skin health issues. For example, John loves to start his day with a refreshing shower. But, he often found his skin feeling itchy and tight after his morning routine. Lisa faced problems with her hair, noticing it was becoming dry and brittle. Their 5-year-old daughter, Emma, often experienced eczema flare-ups, especially during winter. Even their young son Max wasn’t spared, with his chapped lips and dry cheeks making him irritable.
Faced with these skin care problems, John and Lisa began searching for a solution. After trying countless skin care tips, they discovered the effects of water and air quality on skin health. To learn more about the benefits of water softener on skin and the benefits of humidifiers for skin, they turned to ProSolutions Inc.
Here’s what Lisa told us about the skincare issues faced by her family.
“Every year, especially in the winter, our family struggles with dry, itchy skin and hair, chapped lips, and more. Our daughter Emma has eczema flare-ups – making winter in Edmonton a rough time for us all. My husband and I have tried numerous solutions. We’ve tried creams, ointments – you name it, we’ve tried it – but nothing has worked. Well, I recently came across an article about the effects of dry air and hard water and how harsh they can be on skin and hair. So, we came to you [ProSolutions Inc.] to learn more and hopefully find a solution. John is skeptical about hard water and dry air being the problem. But, I think he’ll be willing to try anything for some relief.”
Luckily, when John and Lisa came to us, we were able to help. Here’s what we shared with them.
Problem #1: Hard Water and Its Effects on Skin and Hair
When Lisa explained to us that John experienced itchy skin after showers and that she struggled with dry and brittle hair, a common problem came to mind instantly – hard water.
While most people think water is just water, that’s not the case. There’s hard water, and there’s soft water.
Hard Water vs. Soft Water: What’s the Difference?
Water often picks up minerals, like calcium and magnesium, as water travels through the ground. The presence of these minerals determines whether water is “hard” or “soft.”
Hard water contains a high concentration of minerals – primarily calcium and magnesium. On the other hand, soft water has a low concentration of calcium and magnesium. Instead, soft water often contains higher levels of sodium. Unlike hard water, soft water offers benefits for skin and hair.
Effects of Hard Water on Hair and Skin Health
Hard water can have many adverse effects on skin and hair when used for bathing. Some of the most common skin and hair issues associated with hard water include:
- Dryness – hard water can strip your skin of natural oils, leading to increased dryness and flakiness.
- Itchiness – due to its high mineral content, hard water can leave mineral residue on your skin. This residue can cause irritation, leading to persistent itching.
- Dull complexion – the mineral buildup on your skin caused by hard water can also lead to a dull and lacklustre complexion.
- Eczema flare-ups – individuals with eczema often experience more frequent and severe outbreaks due to the skin-drying effects of hard water.
- Soap residue – hard water makes it difficult for soap to lather and rinse off completely. As a result, a residue is left on the skin and may clog pores and cause breakouts.
- Tightness – after washing with hard water, your skin can feel tight and uncomfortable due to the loss of natural oils.
- Increased sensitivity – continuous exposure to hard water can weaken the skin’s barrier function, making it more susceptible to external irritants and allergens.
- Redness and inflammation – the mineral content in hard water can also cause redness and inflammation, especially in individuals with sensitive skin.
As you can see, hard water has many detrimental effects on hair and skin health. Thus, many Edmonton families install water softeners to take advantage of the benefits of water softener on skin and hair. When combined with the benefits of humidifiers for skin, water softeners can be life-changing!
Solution #1: Water Softeners for Healthier Skin and Hair
Soft water is much gentler than hard water on skin and hair. Therefore, to alleviate the skin health issues Lisa and John’s family faced, we recommended they install a water softener.
What is a water softener?
A water softener is an appliance that uses ion exchange to remove hardness-causing minerals, like calcium and magnesium, and add sodium ions to your water. A water softener is good for skin thanks to its ability to convert hard water to soft water.
How Water Softeners Work
Here’s a breakdown of how water softeners work:
Inside a water softener is a collection of resin beads. These beads are charged with sodium ions. As water flows over the resin beads, the calcium and magnesium positive ions in the hard water stick to the resin. In response, the resin releases sodium ions to maintain a balanced electrical charge. Thus, the resin removes the minerals that cause hard water, creating soft water for use throughout your home.
The Benefits of Water Softeners on Skin and Hair
Why install a water softener? By installing a water softener in your Edmonton home, like John and Lisa, you can take advantage of the many benefits of soft water.
Some of the most significant soft water benefits for skin and hair health include:
- Enhanced moisture retention – soft water helps the skin retain its natural moisture, preventing dryness and flakiness.
- Softer, smoother skin – without the mineral deposits found in hard water, skin feels softer and smoother after washing with soft water.
- Reduced residue – soft water rinses off soap and shampoo more effectively, preventing residue buildup on the skin and scalp. This can help reduce acne and scalp issues.
- Shinier hair – because soft water more effectively washes away shampoo and conditioner residue, it can also make hair shinier and more manageable.
- Prevention of skin conditions – soft water is much gentler than hard water and can reduce the risk of certain skin conditions exacerbated by hard water, such as eczema flare-ups.
- Less irritation – without the harsh minerals found in hard water, skin irritation with soft water is less likely. As a result, soft water is ideal for those with sensitive skin.
John and Lisa’s Experience of Water Softener Benefits for Skin
Here’s what Lisa had to say about her family’s experience with their new water softener.
“Like the benefits of humidifiers for skin, we had no idea about the extent of the benefits of soft water on skin. We noticed a difference as soon as ProSolutions Inc. installed our new water softener! Right away, I noticed a difference in my hair. It was smoother and shinier – without any change in my hair care products. John was ecstatic because he experienced relief from his usual dry, itchy skin. We couldn’t be happier with our water softener. I would recommend one to anyone looking for relief from similar hair and skin issues.”
What is the best water softener for sensitive skin?
If you want to take advantage of the benefits of water softener on skin, you’re probably wondering – what is the top water softener brand for skin health? Here’s our professional recommendation to help you combat dry, sensitive skin.
Best Water Softener Brand for Edmonton Homes: EcoSmart
EcoSmart water softeners are reliable, efficient and easy to maintain. Plus, EcoSmart water softeners are backed by a 7-year system warranty and a lifetime pressure tank and cabinet warranty. The EcoSmart brand is also an excellent option for environmentally conscious Edmonton homeowners, using 60% less water and salt than conventional softeners. Therefore, we recommend the EcoSmart brand to any Edmonton homeowner wanting to improve skin health.
Of the various EcoSmart water softener models available, we recommend (and carry) the following:
ESC-24 – recommended for homes with 5 to 8 people.
ESC-20 – recommended for homes with 1 to 4 people.
For homeowners in Alberta, addressing water quality is just one piece of the puzzle. Ensuring proper indoor humidity levels, especially during the unforgiving winter, is equally crucial for overall skin health and comfort.
Here’s what we shared with John and Lisa about the effects of dry air on skin and the benefits of humidifiers for skin.
Problem #2: Dry Air and Skin Problems
As winter sets in, the air in many Edmonton homes becomes exceedingly dry, aggravating skin issues. For John and Lisa’s family, the dry air was particularly concerning for their children. Emma’s sensitive skin was prone to eczema flare-ups, and Max experienced dry cheeks and chapped lips. Thus, they needed a solution.
At ProSolutions Inc., we hear stories like this all the time – dry skin, chapped lips, and aggravated eczema – especially during the winter months. So, what causes dry skin, and how did we help Lisa and John’s family?
What causes dry, irritated skin?
Maintaining skin moisture in dry climates or during winter is challenging mainly because of the low humidity levels prevalent in these conditions. In addition to the natural dryness of the environment, indoor heating systems strip moisture from the air. This lack of humidity results in the environment constantly drawing moisture from the skin, leading to dehydration. Skin health becomes particularly vulnerable during winter, especially when combined with other factors like reduced skin oil production and water intake.
The Effects of Dry Indoor Air on Skin Health
Like hard water, dry indoor air can have several detrimental effects on skin health. The most significant impacts of dry air on skin health include:
- Dehydration – the lack of moisture in the air means water is often pulled from the skin’s surface, leading to dehydration. This can make the skin feel tight, rough, and uncomfortable.
- Irritation and redness – the skin becomes more susceptible to irritants, resulting in redness, itching, and potential flare-ups of conditions like eczema or psoriasis.
- Compromised skin barrier – dry air can weaken the skin’s protective barrier, making it more permeable to external irritants and allergens, further drying out and irritating the skin.
- Fine lines and wrinkles – dehydrated skin can also accentuate fine lines and wrinkles.
- Chapped lips – as poor little Max experienced, dry air can cause the sensitive skin on the lips to become dehydrated, leading to cracking, peeling, and discomfort.
- Aggravation of skin conditions – those with pre-existing skin conditions, such as eczema, psoriasis, or rosacea, may find that dry indoor air worsens their symptoms.
- Loss of radiance – dehydrated skin can lose its natural glow and appear dull or ashy.
Solution #2: Humidifiers for Softer and Less Irritated Skin
After researching numerous solutions for her family’s skincare issues, Lisa discovered the benefits of humidifiers for skin health, in addition to the benefits of water softener on skin. She came to ProSolutions Inc. looking for more information. After speaking to our experts about the numerous skin benefits of ProSolutions humidifiers, the family decided to invest in one. Here’s why.
What is a humidifier?
A humidifier is an indoor air quality product designed to increase the humidity (i.e., moisture level) in your home. Humidifiers are often used in homes, offices, and other indoor spaces to alleviate the harmful effects of dry air on skin health.
How Humidifiers Work
A humidifier takes in water and transforms it into a fine mist or steam, then releases it into the air. This process increases the humidity level in your home, making the air feel more comfortable and alleviating the effects of dry air.
Keep in mind – there are various types of humidifiers, including evaporative humidifiers, steam humidifiers, and portable humidifiers. The specific method of producing and dispersing moisture varies depending on the type of humidifier. However, the outcome is the same.
The Benefits of Humidifiers for Skin Health
Investing in a humidifier can be a game-changer and offer relief from the harsh effects of dry air. Below are several of the most significant skin benefits of humidifiers.
- Softer, more hydrated skin – by increasing the moisture content in the air, humidifiers help prevent your skin from losing its natural moisture, keeping it hydrated and supple.
- Reduced irritation – humidifiers can alleviate skin irritation and discomfort by maintaining optimal humidity levels.
- Relief from eczema and psoriasis – humidifiers can help reduce the frequency and severity of flare-ups by maintaining skin hydration.
- Enhanced skin barrier – a well-hydrated skin barrier is more effective at keeping out irritants and allergens. Humidifiers support your skin’s natural barrier function, making it more resilient.
- Reduction of fine lines – by ensuring your skin is adequately hydrated, humidifiers can help minimize the appearance of fine lines.
- Prevention of chapped lips – humidifiers can also help prevent chapped lips, which are common in low-humidity environments (especially during the winter).
As you can see, similar to the benefits of water softener on skin, the benefits of humidifiers for skin include softer, less irritated skin. Thus, to help improve Emma and Max’s conditions, we installed a new humidifier in John and Lisa’s home.
John and Lisa’s Experience with The Benefits of Humidifiers for Skin
We asked Lisa about the impact that the new whole-home humidifier had on her family’s skin health and well-being. Here’s what they had to say:
“Once we had the humidifier installed, Emma’s eczema showed signs of improvement. The redness and itchiness subsided, and her skin was soft again. Max’s chapped lips also healed, and his cheeks looked much more hydrated. We can’t thank ProSolutions enough for installing our humidifier – it’s been an amazing addition to our home!”
In addition to these humidifier effects on skin, the family also experienced added comfort. For instance, they no longer woke up with dry throats or encountered frequent static shocks, which were common before installing a humidifier.
What are the top humidifier brands for skin health?
Want to install a whole-home humidifier in your home? Here’s our recommendation for the best humidifier brand for Edmonton homes.
Best Humidifier for Dry Skin: Aprilaire
Aprilaire is our #1 humidifier brand recommendation. As homeowners and humidifier installation experts, we love this brand because it provides optimal and automatic humidity. An Aprilaire humidifier will use your furnace blower to provide humidity whenever your house needs it – even if heat isn’t required. Best of all, the Aprilaire brand is reliable and affordable.
Don’t Wait – Improve Skin Health Today with Optimal Water Quality and Indoor Humidity
Hard water and dry air can take a toll on skin and hair, leading to various issues ranging from dryness and irritation to more severe conditions. Luckily, the benefits of water softener on skin and the benefits of humidifiers for skin outweigh these negative impacts.
Consider investing in a water softener and humidifier to improve your family’s skin health.
As John and Lisa’s family experienced, these appliances can be game-changers – ensuring healthy, radiant skin all year round.
Don’t compromise – prioritize your family’s skin health today. Contact ProSolutions Inc. to learn more about installing a water softener and humidifier in your home.
FAQ About Water Softeners and Humidifiers for Skin Health
Below are some of the most common questions we are asked about water softeners and humidifiers, their maintenance, and benefits.
Are water softeners worth buying?
Absolutely! Water softeners are a valuable investment - especially in Alberta, where most homes have hard water. Water softeners transform hard water, which can be harsh on skin and hair, into soft water - and soft water is good for skin!
The benefits of water softener on skin, hair and overall health are countless. Plus, in addition to improving skin and hair health, water softeners can extend the longevity of your plumbing and appliances by preventing scale buildup!
How do you know what water softener to buy?
Choosing the right water softener depends on various factors, including:
The hardness level of your water
Size of your household
Your budget, etc.
Before buying a water softener, it's a good idea to test your water. This will tell you the hardness level of your water and what’s in it. Once you have these details, ProSolutions Inc. can help you select (and install) the best water softener for your home. Our water softener specialists will ensure your new system offers optimal performance and provides all the benefits of water softener on skin, hair and health.
What does a humidifier do for you?
A humidifier introduces moisture into the air, increasing the humidity levels in your home. This is beneficial in dry climates or during the winter when indoor air becomes excessively dry. Proper humidity levels can alleviate skin dryness, irritation, and other issues. In fact, there are countless benefits of humidifiers for skin! Therefore, for Edmonton residents, investing in a whole-home humidifier from ProSolutions Inc. can significantly enhance skin health, comfort, and overall indoor air quality.
How do I know if I need a humidifier?
Several signs indicate the need for a humidifier. If you or your family experience any of the following, especially during the winter, it clearly indicates that you need a humidifier.
- Dry skin
- Chapped lips
- Irritated eyes
- Respiratory discomfort
Additionally, static electricity, cracking wooden furniture, or peeling wallpaper are signs that you may need to install a humidifier in your home.